Tuesday, April 17, 2012

New Obsession!

Yes, I confess.  I have a new food obsession.  My last obsession was frozen yogurt, but now that obsession has faded and I'm now into CUPCAKES!  Yes, I know, I'm behind the times, but hey... I live in Hilo.  We are always behind the times.

So my obsession started with my cousin Laura's visit to Oahu.  My Aunty and I took her craft shopping and she asked if we could stop by a cupcake shop called Let Them Eat Cupcakes.  She really wanted to try the mochi cupcake, which had a piece of chi chi dango inside the chocolate cupcake covered w/ganache.  I was intrigued, so we placed an order to hold some for us... and good thing we did!  They had sold out, so luckily they kept a few for us.  It was pretty good- very creative to put a piece of mochi inside.

After that, I went to LA and while visiting my brother, my sister and I saw a cupcake place next to Starbucks.  I had cupcakes on the brain, so later that day, we had a few minutes to kill, so I dragged my sister back to Bubba Sweets for some cupcake goodness.  I gotta say, we shared a cheesecake cupcake and it was awesome!  It had a thin layer of sugar that crunched when you bit into it.  Love it!  Definitely want to go back the next time I go to visit.

I already talked about 2 other cupcake places we tried while in LA... you can read about them here..

My friend Debi surprised me with some Hilo cupcakes by Jocipops.  Not bad.  I think you have to pre-order them- no shop to go visit.

Larry's Bakery is another one of my favorites... Their red velvet cupcakes are pretty darn good!  What am I saying... all of their cakes are good!

Our friend Lani brought us back some cupcakes to try from Hokulani Bakery. They just recently won cupcake wars, so I had some high expectations. It was pretty good, but...

But my new favorite when I go to visit Honolulu is Cake Couture!  Here's a pix of what I picked up for our Easter Brunch dessert... Are you drooling yet?  I am.  (wiping my chin).  I gotta say, no matter all the flavors I've tried, my favorite is still the CHOCOLATE HAUPIA.  I can't help it... its not that sweet, which is just how I like it. 



Ok so now that I've gotten that off my chest, I feel so much better!  Thanks Laura for starting me on the cupcake kick.  I'll be back soon to share more Creative Chemistry tags.  Have a great week!

10 comments:

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

I'm drooling. Those cuppie cakes look so ono.

Mimi said...

WOW! They do look YUMMMMMY! TFS! ;D

eva said...

my kids' favorite! every time we pass cake couture my kids have to ask if we can buy some. they are yummy!

Leanne said...

i want them all!! hahaha!! if i ever get to honolulu i'm trying that chocolate haupia. i wonder if they have that a king's hawaiian in torrance? lol. thanks for sharing the yummy goodness if only via pictures. lol! ;)

Laura said...

That is so funny that my curiosity lead to your new obsession! I still love cupcakes too and have a favorite place here, too bad I can’t mail some to you to try.

Laura said...

That is so funny that my curiosity lead to your new obsession! I still love cupcakes too and have a favorite place here, too bad I can’t mail some to you to try.

Les said...

yummmm...got plenty places that I wanna try too...If I do get to try them all then my clothes are gonna regret it!

Dena said...

My cousin has been posting cupcakes from Cupcake Couture recently and, they look so yummy and tempting! My waistline keeps screaming "NOOOO!!!", but my eyes keep saying "YESSS!!!" Ahhh....maybe one day soon, I will be able to try some for myself! :)

Loves Happy Hour said...

looks sooo yummy!! makes me wanna go out and buy some cupcakes!!

cheers!

eunice said...

Yummers! Your cupcake pics have me drooling all over too! Never got much into the cupcake fad but man, the ones from Cake Couture are calling my name...gotta to check them out! BTW, I really enjoy your food reviews...I'm a foodie too, but never get the chance to got out much...