Friday, September 23, 2011

Just Relax!

Happy Friday! Hooray! The weekend is finally here! I am still getting used to 5 day weeks- when is our next furlough day again? Anyway, as I mentioned in yesterday's post, we have two retirements at the same time in our office, so I volunteered to make the cards. I had this one in mind for quite some time- its kinda the reason why I bought one of these stamps. I didn't know if either of the two girls would like this type of card though, so I took a chance and made it anyway. Started by altering the pleated center pop up card by making it a 6x6 size. Needed to have enough room for everyone to sign it. Once I figured out how to make it bigger, I started decorating it. Although I knew what stamp I wanted to use on the inside of the card, I didn't know what I wanted for the outside. I had bought this stamp at the same time as the one on the inside, and thought they kinda pair up nicely, so I used this one too- both are Penny Black wood stamps. Since the girls' apendeges (spelling?) are stick like and I didn't feel like cutting them out, I decided to stamp the image directly onto the background and paper piece the other parts. This became especially challenging on the scarf! Even though it was a lot of work, I think it looks better than if I had to cut out those stick figures! Added in some flowers for color on the grass and added another Island Scrapbooking laser cut- this time in pink to match the card. Here's a close up of the girl... OK- now for the inside... Ta daaaaaaaa! I thought this image would be so cute for a retiree since I would hope they would take time to relax after working all those years. I really wanted to use this image on this pleated center card so I could make the image pop up when laid flat. Here's what the inside looks like with the background... And here's what it looks like when its open flat. And I found out the recipient loves cats, so I had to add in a little feline companion! Create in Me makes the cutest animal stamps, so I dug in my stash and added this kitty in the grass. Oh yah, also used more Island Scrapbooking laser cuts on the inside- the Best Wishes and mini sakuras are by IS. Hope you have a nice weekend!

6 comments:

Creations by Shirl said...

Aww such a cutie card... love how she is so relaxed on her hammock and the kitty cat on the bottom..
Great scenery....

Have A Scrap Happy Day said...

Super cute Jenny. Bet your co-worker will LOVE it and keep admiring it for years to come. Makes me want to start the weekend this Friday morning already. LOL

SuiLan said...

LOVE IT! Super good job on the card. Whew, just thinking of all the work you been putting into your cards are making me tired. hehe...have fun creating!

Les said...

ohmygawwwwddd! I looove her!! So cute!

Debi said...

Love this Jenny! So cute and cheery. The paper piecing really works and the inside is such a nice surprise!

eunice said...

Cutest retirement card, ever!!! I just can't get over how many different ways you've used this pleated center card, Jenny...and I've loved each and every one! This card is so adorable, this will surely be a treasured keepsake for your retiree friends!