Monday, December 21, 2009

60th Anniversary Gift

Amist all the hustle and bustle of Christmas, I found out that my husband's grandparents were celebrating their 60th Wedding Anniversary!!! I don't think I've ever known anyone to celebrate so many years together. I think that is sooo awesome!
So, because our families as a whole like handmade gifts, I decided to make them a layout using a shadowbox frame of their wedding photo. I managed to get their wedding photo from my mother in law... I totally expected to see them in Kimono attire, but to my surprise, the bride wore a modern gown. I must say, she had a nice gown for that time! My MIL said that she doesn't think they realize she has their wedding photo, so it should be fun to see their surprised faces when they see this gift.
Do you ever have a vision of your project and find you didn't have the right supplies? This just happened to me with this particular project. I went through all my washi paper and didn't like anything I had on hand. Then I remembered a specific crane washi paper by Hanko that Island Scrapbooking carries. A super duper big mahalo to Michele at Island Scrapbooking for helping me get the washi paper in time to finish my project! I thought the crane washi was perfect since its a typical Japanese symbol used in weddings.

After I mounted the photo on the washi paper, I felt like it was too plain. After consulting with my MIL, she told me that the sakura was part of their family's mon, so it was a perfect tie in to the project. Its hard to tell from this photo, but I punched out sakura petals and made a few sakuras and floating petals in mirrored silver cardstock. I embellished them with some flat back pearls by Kaisercraft. I really like the way it came out with the pearls. Originally, I was going to use crystals, but the pearls matched better with the washi paper.

Tried to show you in this junkie photo the washi paper. I guess its hard to take good photos of the mirrored cardstock. It looks much better in real life!

Its hard to believe that they've been married for that long! What an inspiration!

Supplies:

  • Washi paper- Hanko designs
  • Cardstock- Bazzil
  • Sakura petal punch- Hanko designs
  • Pearls- Kaisercraft
  • Labels die- Spellbinders

No comments: